You are hereOur Stand
Here We Stand:
The following are important principles, issues, and causes we are pursuing in the name of Jesus Christ.
- We stand against human degradation and for the human rights of all people, especially the rights of the most vulnerable and despised. We are working for human rights in areas such as torture, the conditions in our prisons, immigration, and religious freedom.
- We stand against war and for peacemaking. We are committed to peacemaking efforts between the world’s major religious traditions and especially in the Middle East, where tensions remain high. We are working toward nuclear disarmament and a world without nuclear weapons.
- We stand against the devaluing of human life and for a society in which no woman feels that abortion is her only choice. We are involved in creative efforts to prevent unintended pregnancies, support pregnant women, improve our adoption laws and practices, and change cultural attitudes and practices—all with the primary goal of reducing the number of abortions in our country.
- We stand against environmental denialism and for God’s endangered creation. We are deeply involved in efforts to address major environmental challenges facing our world, including climate change, species loss, and green energy.
- We stand against needless human suffering due to lack of health care and for human health. We are involved in efforts to expand health care access in the United States and around the world and to reduce the current threats to human health already present due to the growing toxicity of the environment that we are polluting.
- We stand against the collapse of marriage and for stronger family life. We are involved in efforts to strengthen the fading institution of marriage and thereby protecting and enhancing the well-being of children. We do not believe that denigrating the dignity and denying the human rights of gays and lesbians is a legitimate part of a “pro-family” Christian agenda, and will work to reform Christian attitudes and treatment of lesbian and gay people.
- We stand against poverty and economic injustice and for dignified and decent economic conditions for all. We seek to be involved in creative efforts to build a more fair and humane economic order here and around the world.
- We stand against tyranny and for democracy, justice, and the rule of law. We are involved in efforts to protect and strengthen the culture of American democracy, the unique legacy of religious liberty in this land, and the always fragile rule of law. We look for ways to support indigenous efforts to advance democracy, religious liberty, public justice, and the rule of law in other lands.